Reflection Exercise Instructions (SEE ATTACHMENT FOR THE QUESTIONS) Writer: 470084 For each of the 3 questions you choose to answer, you must respond using a minimum of 250–285….
List at least five authors who wrote in modernization movement
Name: _________________________ Period: _________ Date: ___________________
Modern Poetry WebQuest
Write in complete sentences (except notes on Modernism in Literature)
Modernism in Literature
- What are the dates generally accepted for the modernism movement?
- List at least five authors who wrote in this movement.
- Try to describe what characterized this new movement of modernism in literature.
NOW YOU WILL LOOK AT SEVERAL POETS FROM THE MODERN ERA OF LITERATURE. READ THE POEMS AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELOW.
Carl Sandburg Poetry http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/28
- What does Sandburg compare the fog to in this poem? What feeling does this comparison elicit in the reader?
- Austerlitz , Waterloo, Gettysburg, Ypres, and Verdun are sites of major historical battles. Do you think the growth of grass in this poem is focusing on the positive, the healing that takes place, or on the negative, how people can be forgotten? Explain your answer.
- Give example of both the positive and negative aspects of Chicago that Sandburg explains.
- Do you think other cities could also be described how Sandburg describes Chicago? (Sacramento, New York City, Atlanta, Los Angeles, etc.) Why?
Ezra Pound http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/161
In a Station of the Metro http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15421
- What image is Pound describing? What tone does the author’s description use (write an adjective or two)? What are the connotations (connotation: the feeling a word brings up, NOT the dictionary definition) of the descriptive words Pound uses (choose two words to discuss)?
Hilda Doolittle H.D. http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/234
- What repetition is used in this poem? Why do you think H.D. repeats those words/phrases?
- What image is H.D. describing? What tone does the author’s description use (write an adjective or two)? What are the connotations (connotation: the feeling a word brings up, NOT the dictionary definition) of the descriptive words H.D. uses (choose two words to discuss)?
- Do you like “Orchard” or “Pear Tree” better? Why or why not?
William Carlos Williams http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/119
The Red Wheelbarrow http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15537
- What do you think Williams means when he says, “so much depends on a red wheel barrow?” What is the wheelbarrow used for?
This Is Just To Say http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15535
- Does this poem contain humor? Explain your answer with examples from the poem.
Extra Credit +3
How do these poems compare to “traditional” poetry? Think in terms of rhyme scheme, rhythm, chronological order, stanzas, etc.