This discussion assesses your ability to clarify the role of each legally mandated attendee on the Individualized Education Program team. This assessment also supports your achievement of Course Learning Outcome….
List and briefly describe the basic principles that relate to client rights
Part 1 15 slides<p “=””>Your manager tasks you with preparing a PowerPoint Presentation with a minimum of 15 slides (with presenters notes), not counting the cover page or reference page. In this presentation, you are to utilize the library, the Internet, and any other available resources to make sure that the following topics are discussed:
- Discuss the importance of a chemical dependency counselor behaving ethically in interactions with clients. Consider the following:
- Client welfare
- What state laws or regulations involving standards of conduct, transmission, and storage of private health records exist?
- Professional codes of ethics contribute to maintaining ethical standards in a profession. Discuss professional codes in the counselor profession, such as the ACA code.
- Are there any national or regional professional organizations that promote ethical behavior in chemical dependency counseling profession?
- Describe the difference between behaving ethically and behaving legally, and give an example.
- What is the most serious legal consequence of the counselor behaving unethically, and what are the long-term effects of this consequence.
The final slide in your presentation should be a reference page, detailing all of the resources you utilized in completing this presentation. Be sure to reference all of your sources in APA style format.
Part 2 500-600 words
You are a supervising chemical dependency counselor at an intensive treatment facility. In this role, you facilitate group sessions, individual counseling sessions, and family therapy sessions for alcohol and substance abuse clients and their families. In addition to the above-described direct treatment, you also supervise several other counselors in a residential program.
Client relationships are the core of this profession. Forming and maintaining appropriate, professional relationships is of the utmost significance when it comes to successfully helping clients, and this is a core concept of training.
Prepare a memo to the new counselors under your supervision. The purpose of the memo is to inform the counselors of the potential ethical issues they could face that deal with their relationships with clients.
In your memo, please provide the following information:
To: New chemical dependency counselors
From: Supervising counselor
Subject: Potential ethical issues
As a chemical dependency counselor, the counselor/client relationship is paramount to the client’s success in treatment. There must be a level of trust between the client and the counselor for the client to be successful in treatment. To develop and grow that trust, the counselor and the client must have a thorough understanding of the client’s rights as well as the counselor’s duties or obligations to the client. The counselor must also avoid engaging in behaviors that can compromise that relationship and destroy that trust.
- Section 1: List and briefly describe the basic principles that relate to client rights including, but not limited to, the following:
- The right to be informed
- The right to privacy and confidentiality
- Section 2: List and briefly describe the basic duties and/or obligations you have to your clients including, but not limited to, the following:
- Maintaining clients dignity and promote their welfare
- Behaving ethically
- Maintaining level of competence
- Section 3: List and briefly describe 3 potential ethical issues chemical dependency counselors could face as a result of their relationship with clients.
- Sexual relationship with a client
- Improperly transmit or improperly protect a client’s private health information
- May place third party at risk.
Your memo should have 3 separate sections: 1 section for each of the questions listed above.
Part 3 2-4 pages
Your manager has given you a new assignment. It is time to update the employee handbook. You will be creating information to add to the handbook. You are to outline the following:
Provide information and support for a proposed Computer and Internet Use policy. Discuss the important factors to be considered when creating a Computer and Internet Use policy and why they are important. Remember, you are trying to convince your manager to use your language in the handbook update, so support your position.
Draft language for a proposed organizational standard for ethical decision making. This should describe a step-by-step process for making critical decisions about potential ethical issues faced by counselors. This process should include, where appropriate, reference to the ethical code at the state level or a model code from a nationally recognized organization.