This discussion assesses your ability to clarify the role of each legally mandated attendee on the Individualized Education Program team. This assessment also supports your achievement of Course Learning Outcome….
How can a leader effectively “enable the collective dreams” of the people working with him or her? Discuss your response within the context of a motivational theory found in the text. You may also want to incorporate the suggestions found in the “Ways of Acting” section in the text.
Read Chapter 6: “Motivating Yourself and Others” in your text.
Watch the following brief video (less than 5 minutes) called “The Dream Manager” by Tom Peters (you will refer to this video in your Discussion post as well as your Learning Journal this week):
Tom Peters (Producer). (2002). The Dream Manager [Web Video]. Retrieved from http://vimeo.com/1037483
Also, watch the following video found under the “Chapter 6: Motivating Yourself and Others” video links on the publisher Student Resources site at https://study.sagepub.com/denhardt4e:
- Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation (less than 20 minutes; you will refer to it in your Learning Journal this week)
- Rebecca Saxe: “How We Read Each Other’s Minds” (less than 20 minutes)
- Jeff Bezos: “What Matters More Than Your Talents” (less than 20 minutes)
Motivating Yourself and Others – Discussion
Review the video by Tom Peters titled “The Dream Manager” assigned in your Reading before posting to this week’s Discussion. Keep in mind that you may also need to integrate your textbook and other research to fully explore these topics.
- Peters states that “All of us have dreams.” Reflect upon some of your own professional (or academic) hopes and dreams and consider the following question: What motivates you? How do you remain on course when discouraged? Explore the relationship, if any, between dreams and motivation.
- How can a leader effectively “enable the collective dreams” of the people working with him or her? Discuss your response within the context of a motivational theory found in the text. You may also want to incorporate the suggestions found in the “Ways of Acting” section in the text.
TEXTBOOK INFORMATION Title: Managing Human Behavior in Public and Nonprofit Organizations Edition: 4th (2015) Author: Robert B. Denhardt, Janet V. Denhardt, and Maria P. Aristigueta Publisher: Sage Book ISBN: 9781483359298 Eboo