This discussion assesses your ability to clarify the role of each legally mandated attendee on the Individualized Education Program team. This assessment also supports your achievement of Course Learning Outcome….
Evaluate the extent to which the media helped or hindered the manhunt for the suspects
Case Study 1: Terrorism and the Media
Due Week 4 and worth 100 points
On April 15, 2013, two (2) bombs were set off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Three (3) people were killed and over 260 were injured. The initial investigation and manhunt spanned several days after the bombing. The media covered these events live as they occurred and in great detail.
Use the Internet or Strayer databases to research the bombing incident, emergency response to the incident, media coverage, and the investigation post incident. In context of the incident, also research the debate between the public’s right to know versus operational security.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Summarize the attack, the initial investigation, and the manhunt for the suspects.
- Describe the media coverage of these events, and assess the degree to which the media affected the public’s perception of the attack.
- Evaluate the extent to which the media helped or hindered each of the following:
- The immediate emergency response at the scene of the bombing
- The investigation of the incident
- The manhunt for the suspects
- Assess the importance of the media’s role as a force multiplier for terrorists.
- Take a position on the debate between the public’s right to know versus operational security.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the definitions of terrorism and the criminological and sociological explanations for terrorist behavior.
- Interpret the operational functioning of terrorist groups.
- Compare and contrast the ethical dimension and biases that media afford in reporting terrorism.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in terrorism and antiterrorism.
- Write clearly and concisely about terrorism and antiterrorism using proper writing mechanics and APA style conventions