effective and ineffective counseling characteristics and the behaviors associated with them
The Assignment (2–3 pages)
- Review Chapter 5 in the course text, Orientation to the Counseling Profession: Advocacy, Ethics, and Essential Professional Foundations, focusing on effective counseling characteristics. Think about how each of these would affect your behaviors as a clinical mental health counselor.
- Review the media program, paying attention to the characteristics of effective counseling.
- Think about effective and ineffective counseling characteristics and the behaviors associated with them.
- Review the “Transcript: Effective Counselor Characteristics and Behaviors” document located in the Learning Resources. Think about which of the clinical mental health counselor’s characteristics and behaviors in the case study were effective and which were ineffective. Consider how these characteristics influenced the counseling session.
- Think about whether characteristics and behaviors are consistent with counseling as an art or a science, or both, and why.
- Describe at least two effective characteristics and/or behaviors in the case study and explain why they were effective.
- Describe at least two ineffective characteristics and/or behaviors and explain why they were ineffective.
- Explain how the clinical mental health counselor’s characteristics and/or behaviors may influence the session in the case study.