This discussion assesses your ability to clarify the role of each legally mandated attendee on the Individualized Education Program team. This assessment also supports your achievement of Course Learning Outcome….
15 minute time weighted occupational exposure that should not be exceeded at any time. There is a recovery period stated before additional exposure What is the recovery period?
5 points each answer, some questions have multiple parts and therefore each part is worth 5 points. The Text book “Chemistry of Hazardous Materials” along with the lecture may be helpful.
- 3.1 and 3.3S Use the following data to identify the OSHA/NFPA class of flammable liquid:
|Substance||Boiling Point (Deg F)||Flash Point (Deg F)|
2 3.5 Why is the rupture of a steel cylinder containing compressed helium gas gravely hazardous despite the fact that helium is a nonflammable gas
3 3.8 Methyl acetate is a liquid that boils at 135 deg F and has a flashpoint of 15 deg F. It is a constitute of paint removers. A company that manufactures point removers has constructed and indoor room for flammable liquids from fire resistant material and equipped it with a sprinkler system. What is the maximum number of 55 gal drums containing methyl acetate that may be stored in the room?
4 3.10S Why should emergency responders wear total-encapsulating suits and use self-contained breathing apparatus when they move a leaking cylinder, regardless of the nature of its contents
5. 3.14S Why do safety engineers recommend that potential users store combustible liquids either within safety cans or the DOT-approved containers in which they were initially purchased?
6. 3.15S A worker intends to remove 5 gal of a flammable liquid from a 55-gal drum.
(a) What precaution should the worker take prior to opening the drum?
(b) Why do safety engineers recommend transferring 5 gal of the liquid into a safety can before transferring it into some other container?
7. 3.23S Emergency responders arriving at a chemical warehouse in a heavily industrialized zone are informed that a fire is approaching an area where twenty-five 55-gal drums are stored. Labels on the drums indicate that they contain the following flammable liquids: cyclopentanone, di-n-butyl ether, diisopropyl ether, methanol, n-propylamine, toluene, and p-xylene. To prevent the spread of the fire to adjacent buildings, a decision is made to remove the drums to an area to which the fire is inaccessible. Using the flashpoint data, identify the drums that should be removed first.
Substance Boiling Point Flashpoint
cyclopentanone 268 ºF (131 ºC) 79 ºF (26 ºC)
di-n-butyl ether 266 ºF (130 ºC) 77 ºF (25 ºC)
diisopropyl ether 155 ºF (69 ºC) 218 ºF (228 ºC)
methanol 149 ºF (65 ºC) 54 ºF (12 ºC)
n-propylamine 120 ºF (49 ºC) 235 ºF (237 ºC)
toluene 231 ºF (111 ºC) 40 ºF (4.4 ºC)
8. The time-weighted average concentration for a normal 8 hour workday and a 40 hour work week to which nearly all workers may be repeatedly exposed without adverse effect is known as:
9. 15 minute time weighted occupational exposure that should not be exceeded at any time. There is a recovery period stated before additional exposure
What is the OSH designation?
What is the recovery period?
10. What is the upper and lower flammability limit for propane?
11. Given the upper and flammability limit found in #10, what does this tell you about propane?